May 25, 2016

Quilt 60: Double Square Star

Pauline, my quilting guru, came across this video on YouTube showing a very interesting "star" block, called "Double Square Star Quilt".  The quilt is made with charm squares and oh, my it just looked too easy!

I tried to embed the video here on my blog, but for some reason it isn't working.  No worries.  Here's a link to the video on YouTube:   Double Square Star Quilt

I really enjoyed the video, and had to laugh when watching because "Jenny" sews like I do - fast and furious, no pinning, no pressing unless absolutely necessary.  Looks like she's got lots of other videos out there - I'm going to have to check them out, as I'm sure she can teach me some new tricks.

I was completely intrigued with this project and, of course I have a huge stash of charm squares, so hey, let's GO!

There's one caution here: Not all charm square packs will have enough squares to complete the project in Jenny's video.  Be sure to check the package.  It takes 6 squares to make one star  - and there are 20 stars in the quilt, - that's 120 squares.

For my quilt, I'm going to use Moda's "Picket Fence" charm squares.

 Just as shown in the video, I've got 3 packs of these squares.  I went through and found the matching squares from each pack, then cut one square into quarters.
Then I cut out 5"x 2.5" strips of my "background" fabric (just white homespun), and 7" x 2.5" strips.  Then I stitch the small squares to the ends:
When I fold back the edges, you can see the general idea of where this is going:

Then I cropped off the excess from the ends of the strip, being careful to leave a 1/4" seam allowance:
 Then I stitched the strips to the squares, sewing the 5" strip first, then the 7" one - and voila!  Just as Jenny said - it came together pretty darned fast!  Here's 1/4 of my first "star" block:

One down, 79 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment