April 27, 2016

Quilt 57: Jelly Roll Nine Patch Plus - DONE!

I just love pre-cuts like jelly rolls, charm squares and layer cakes.  There are so many interesting ways to use them in design.  A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned this design:
Here's the jelly roll which inspired it:
It didn't take long at all to cut out the required squares from the strips in the jellyroll pack.
And I was surprised at how quickly I was able to assemble the nine-patch blocks, the the other segments needed:
And, below, I've started joining the nine-patches.
The one concern I had about this quilt was making sure the dangling threads unraveling from the darker squares.  As you can see below, one little dark thread really shows up against the white background - I didn't want those threads to show through the finished quilt, so I took a little extra time and trimmed them away.
I opted to quilt this using a simple "loop-d-loop" free-motion design - and oh, my it only took a couple of hours to finish the quilting!

Here's the finished quilt:
100% cotton fabric with cotton batting, quilted on the longarm.
Finished size: 52" x 52"
 And a close-up of the quilting pattern - and the background fabric.
 I finished it just this morning!

This one goes to "Inspirational Quilts".

No comments:

Post a Comment