November 11, 2015

Quilt 46: Tulip Garden

I bought my "Quilt Wizard" design software way back in 2010, when I first started quilting. That was definitely money well-spent, as I've used it countless times. In the early days, when playing around with different kinds of block designs, I came up with this:
(click any picture on this page to see a larger image)
The block design is called "rosebud" in the design software - but to me it looks more like tulips.  Oh well, a rose by any other name.... yes?
I never actually made it, as I didn't know anybody who'd want a quilt like this, but kept the design and looked at it from time to time. Now that I'm making quilts for the "Inspirational Quilts" charity, I decided to go ahead and make this one. But, I made one alteration to the design: I changed the lattice around the blocks from green to blue:
I really like that splash of turquoise next to the pink flowers.

Just as it happened with the "Deep Blue Sea" quilt, the quilting software had fiddly, awkward instructions for the triangles. Just as I'd done for that quilt, I attacked it my own way:

And below you can see the progression of squares stitched together, then diagonally cut and opened up .
And the final result - the completed block. Because my triangle bits came out slightly larger (as they did on the other quilt), I had a bit of work cropping the sides to even them up - but it didn't take more than a few minutes to do that.
And here I'm assembling the top:
All put together and ready to quilt!

And here it is: FINISHED!
Here's a closeup of the tulips so you can see the stitching a little better. I used the "Baptist Fan" groovy board again. It's just about my favorite of the groovy board designs - quilts up fast, has an interesting design but doesn't "take over".

The backing on this quilt is hot pink - here's what it looks like with the quilting (done in white thread).



I'm very pleased with how this one turned out - and it looks like I've got enough fabric to almost squeeze out one more very similar. I'll have to buy a little more of the white and get something for backing. Hmm... yeah.. I think I'll do that.

This quilt will be donated to "Inspirational Quilts".

No comments:

Post a Comment