November 23, 2011

Move Over, "The Julie/Julia Project" (well, maybe not)

(nobody here but us servantless Australian quilters)

It started innocently enough. It was November 12, 2011 - the 5-year anniversary of the day I stepped off the airplane at Melbourne's Tullamarine airport as a newly-arrived immigrant. Hubby Stephen and I planned to have a nice celebration at home and we'd stopped at the Dan Murphy's in Boronia and ... well... I'm rambling a bit, but here's the thing: There's a quilt shop there! "Lilly Patches"!

I saw quilting guru Pauline a couple of days later and mentioned it to her. Of course she already knew about it, and said she likes the shop quite a lot. She also mentioned a half-dozen other quilt shops, some of which sound simply fabulous.

So I get online and do quick search - and came up with a website that claims there are 180 quilt shops in the state - and has an online list (complete with addresses)!

My head is spinning.

So.... I'm sitting here looking at this list and remembering the great blog "The Julie/Julia Project" and thinking... hm... 180 quilt shops, 365 days... and...

NAH! I can't afford to do what I'm thinking. I have NO self-control in a quilt shop. It's against my RELIGION to go into a quilt shop and come out with less than a meter of something.

So I'm not going to do it. No. No. No.

(Incidentally, I see that the original "The Julie/Julia Project" blog is gone. I'm truly sorry, as it's existence was such an inspiration to me. Julie Powell, the author, has a new blog now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment